THAILAND 2009

Welcome!  I will be writing updates and posting them to this blog to provide an inside glimps of experiences my husband and I have throughout our stay in Thailand 2009.

I have used this same blog for many of the previous international trips that I have taken, including those to Haiti and Africa.  I am now in Thailand as of January 1, 2009 with my husband and will be here for some time.  If you are interested in reading about previous trips, please scroll down, otherwise read the most recent post for the latest happenings in our lives!

Thanks for checking in!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

IDEAS -DREAMS-GOAL

'Always in life an idea starts small, it is only a sapling idea, but the vines will come and they will try to choke your idea so it cannot grow and it will die and you will never know you had a big idea, an idea so big it could have grown thirty meters through the dark canopy of leaves and touched the face of the sky.' He looked at me and continued. 'The vines are people who are afraid of originality, of new thinking. Most people you encounter will be vines; when you are a young plant they are very dangerous.' His piercing blue eyes looked into mine.' Always listen to yourself, Peekay. It is better to be wrong than simply to follow convention. If you are wrong, no matter, you have learned something and you grow stronger. If you are right, you have taken another step toward a fulfilling life.'

Bryce Courtenay

Source: Power of One, Page: 157


SUCCESSES

'Again and again I therefore admonish my students in Europe and America: Don't aim at success -- the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it. I want you to listen to what your conscience commands you to do and go on to carry it out to the best of your knowledge. Then you will live to see that in the long-run -- in the long-run, I say! -- success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think about it.'

Viktor Frankl (1905 - 1997)

Source: Man's Search For Meaning, Page: Intro

4 comments:

betsy said...

How can we plan to see each other? I want to connect with you. Can you please email me your current address, and if it's going to change any time soon, email me the new one too. Also a phone number. I miss you! I watched The Constant Gardener for the second time a few nights ago and thought of you. Dustan's parents are getting ready to head back to Sierra Leone after furlough.
Love, Bets

sitkaot said...

Rebekah,
I hope you are all settled in back in Anchorage! Please send an email to sitkaot@gmail.com. I would like to talk with you about the work in Uganda. Thanks a bunch!
Celeste in Sitka

betsy said...

P.s. My email is betsyashbrook@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebekah! This is Katrina Kline: I met you at Tim's Hanukah party, but cleverly managed to drop the paper with your e-mail on it. I would love to hear more about your experiences and any advice you have for how to get involved. My e-mail is kk117@evansville.edu. Thanks!